CFD Firefighters Respond to Large Debris Fire at Town Landfill on July 4th .
By Web Team
July 5, 2019

On Thursday Afternoon July 4th at about 3:37 p.m. the Cutchogue Fire Department was dispatched to an unknown type of fire at the Southold Town Solid Waste Transfer Station, formerly referred to as the Town Landfill, located on 6155 Cox lane in Cutchogue.

While responding a large column of smoke could already be seen for miles.

Upon arrival at the scene units were confronted with a large debris fire located in the northern most portion of the landfill facility.

The large fire was quickly engulfing the construction debris section that contained large amounts of lumber and combustible materials that were piled up awaiting transfer to another facility. The fire was also beginning to threaten several nearby storage trailers, and spread to nearby brush.

The first arriving units attempted to control the fire, however because the fire was located in an area where there was no water supply available, a mutual aid request for tanker trucks was requested from the Mattituck, Jamesport, East Marion and Riverhead fire departments to provide water at the fire scene.

Once on scene the tankers created a shuttle to provide a continuous flow of water.

These departments also provided additional manpower and assistance throughout the incident.

Firefighters were assisted by the Town of Southold Transfer Station Employees who operated heavy machinery to break part the piles and assist with the final extinguishment and overhaul.

Units operated on scene for nearly two and an half hours in near 90 degree temperatures before being released from the scene.

The Greenport Fire Department also stood-by at the Cutchogue Firehouse in the event of any calls.

Thank you to everyone who assisted us on this day.

Units: Chiefs 8-530, 32, Captain 8-5-50, Engines 8-5-1, 8-5-4, Quint 8-5-3, Heavy Rescue 8-5-5, Fire police 8-5-6, Ambulance 8-5-16
Mutual Aid: Mattituck FD, Engine & Tanker, Jamesport Tanker, East Marion Tanker, Riverhead Tanker, Greenport Engine to Stand-by